Mohegan Lake Legal Defense Fund

History of this site

This site was originally set up to fight 3 of 5 zoning variances proposed by the FBC development at Sagamore Trail and Mohegan Ave that eliminates two single family homes while nearly quadrupling the parking and occupancy loads of the old Lakeland Jewish Center. That effort failed and the application is currently before the Planning Board.

While Save Mohegan Lake will continue to update you on that issue, we are moving on to all issues affecting the lake, such as Mohegan Lake Improvement District (MLID) meetings, agenda and budget. This site is not an official mouthpiece for MLID, but some updates will be provided on this site; the official site is located here.

We do it all here, so long as it's Mohegan Lake related. Feel free to submit comments, content, garage sale notices, police blotters, PSA's, essays on the virtues of our 105 acre ice rink, rants, raves, etc... We love it all.

Email: YorktownCode@gmail.com

Monday, May 19, 2014

Coyotes On The Prowl

Hi Mohegan Lake Neighbor,

I saw a coyote run through my backyard yesterday evening.  This was after it ate several kittens the cat that lives by us recently had off in the town property south of me.  Mama cat ran to our house and tried to jump on the deck with "Lucky," as we've called the 6 [?] week old baby kitten, in her jaws. 
Lucky.

At about 3 am the wife heard a goose dying a long--full minute at least--death, presumably by coyote too.  She was compelled to yell out the back door because it sounded like a human screaming. I'm actually cool with the goose control, but those poor goslings are so cute.  Remember that time I made that video of them walking to the yakkety-sax?   Or that one of geese and goslings swimming to "Walk Like an Egyptian"? Me too.

I'm just fine thinning the herd with a coyote. It's nature.  It's been pretty goose free up here at the top of the lake today.  Quite.  [queue the eery music and menacing coyote photo].




Question:  If I had a licensed gun and hunter safety card, could I shoot it on my property?  I thought I couldn't discharge a firearm in Westchester, but a little googling makes me think I might be able to if I'm not within 500 feet of a structure. 

No comments: